Benefits of Maca Root – Red Maca for Everyone
Maca Root is a highly, nutritional supplement originating from the Andes in Peru it has been described as a super food '. The Peruvians have been using Maca root for thousands of years. The Spaniards first recorded it in writing back in the 16th century.
Alpaca manure is used to fertilize the Maca and it has been shown by researchers that: Quality of seed sources and soil content, as well as organic growing strategies and drying methods, all play a part in maximizing the quality of all active constituents.
Maca is grown for the nutritional and health value of its root. The majority of harvested Maca is dried. In this form, it can be stored for several years. Fresh roots are usually available only near the growers. The root can also be mashed and boiled (in much the same way as we would boil a turnip), to produce a sweet, thick liquid, dried and mixed with milk to form a porridge.
The growing demand for Maca root is responsible for its rapid commercialization in both Peru and Bolivia. Recent, specific phenotypes- color of root, Cream, Black and Red. Cream is more favored in Peru. Black the strongest in energy terms, while Red Maca has been shown to reduce the prostate.
Cream Black and Red Maca all have a similar taste, which is a light, nutty flavor, add Maca to other foods in a number of ways; it makes a lovely tasting desert when dusted over banana split, or sprinkled over a muesli, soup or porridge. (Please note Maca root has detoxifying qualities that can be misinterpreted so read further on this).
Maca is a food staple in Peru and there are no known effects of toxicity
Future articles will look at the health benefits Maca Root, in more depth.
Some of the many benefits of Maca include:
- Improve workout performance, endurance, stamina, strength & muscle gain;
- Raises testosterone in men & eliminates hormonal problems in women;
- Overall stress protection;
- Quicker injury recovery;
- Lowers high blood pressure, lowers cholesterol, increases energy levels;
- Increases metabolism, may help with weight loss / obesity;
- Improve sex drive & cures erectile dysfunction;
- The Maca root powder may alleviate SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction.
- Maca powder may also have a beneficial effect on libido.
Further benefits associated with the use of Maca root powder:
- Can benefit macular degeneration & night vision loss.
- Reduces the regularity & severity of asthma attacks.
- May ease symptoms of arthritis & joint pain.
- Reduction of allergies to dogs, cats, seasonal pollens.
- May cure chronic fatigue, relieves depression, aids in detoxification.
If you are on any medication, please consult your doctor if any doubts prior to introducing a new item in your diet.