Practice Meditation And Health Benefits Are Sure To Follow
Since meditation's introduction to the west, countless studies have been performed, testing the validity of the practice. And after all this time, it seems quite evident meditation and health benefits go hand in hand.
These health benefits are not restricted to only physical health and well being, either. Meditation has also shown benefits relating mental and emotional health as well, increasing the importance of the practice.
6 reasons to start meditating today and begin a healthy lifestyle:
- Reduce stress and anxiety, lower blood pressure, reverse effects of heart disease: To me, it's a domino effect, one improving on the other. Take care of the cause for high blood pressure (stress), which can be a major contributor to heart disease. By reducing stress and anxiety, you can improve your health substantially.
- Increases compassion: Those who have mediated have shown an increase in compassion, though this can be very hard to measure objectively. A recent study showed a significant increase in an act of tragedy, from% 15 to a% 50 after subjects learned meditation.
- Can be used to help alleviate symptoms from PMS: Mediation has shown to increase an ability to control chronic pain, which can include pain associated with PMS and migraine headaches. It's also been shown to be effective treating recovering drug addicts going through withdrawal pains, as well.
- Increases brain growth gyrification: Meditation has actually shown to grow the brain, particularly in the folds that habor memory. A study conducted looked at those who had mediated for as long as 20 years and found a correlation in increased girification with the amount of time the subject had studied meditation. They concluded meditationwas responsible for this additional growth.
- Increase self esteem and confidence: Through practice, one can begin to develop an understanding of themselves. I can only speculate that meditation has allowed me to understand myself better, therefor being able to find acceptance in the things I can not change. Since meditating, my thoughts of myself have improved ten fold.
- Meditation simply makes you happy: Serotonin is a natural chemical produced by our brain and contributions to how happy we feel. Meditation has been shown to increase the production of serotonin, enhancing our moods and attitudes.
These are just a few of the positive health benefits you can experience from practicing meditation. I'm positive as the research continues, more of the possibilities through meditation will come to light and yet surprise us more. Start meditating today and begin enjoying life healthier!